Saturday 4 December 2010

30days of Truth-Day 17

A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.

My mother was an avid reader and there were always paperbacks in my home to which I paid no attention. I liked to be read to as a child but didn't read for pleasure. Every Christmas I would receive a book and every boxing day I just put it carefully on the shelf in my bedroom where my books lived unread.

When I was about eight or nine I was investigating a bookshelf one boring afternoon and I noticed the only hard backed book my mother owned it looked old so I took it off the shelf to see what it was.

The book was Little Women by Louisa M Alcott written inside was my mothers name in a child like scrawl. I asked her what it was and she told me it was a book she had at school.

I don't know why I began reading this book but almost immediately I became enthralled by the goings on of the March family, maybe because it was about a family of sisters and I only had a stinky tormenting little brother.

For the first time in my life I enjoyed reading, I could imagine the sisters in their house, I cried when Beth died, I willed Jo to marry Laurie. I can't remember how long it took me to read the book,when I got to the back page I saw a list of other books written by Louisa M Alcott and there began my love of reading.

It's not a work of literary genius it is a children book that was written in 1868, it didn't change my views on anything profound but it did change my view on reading and learning and most importantly of all that I had a creative and powerful imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment