Tuesday 4 January 2011

Hostess with the Leastess

With my New Year SL resolutions fresh in my mind I decided to take myself out for the SL evening.

Off I went determined to paint the town red (well a wishy washy pink at least) pointing myself in the direction of one of the popular clubs in SL. 

After I had de-clouded and acclimatized to the lag I made my way to the dance floor and threw out general ‘hello’ to the club, nothing happened 'Hey! Happy New Year' I said to the host five minutes later still no response. Had the 500 line gestures eaten my greeting?

I checked back in local to see if I had missed a ‘hey/hello’ I hadn’t but I did see copious greetings and welcomes to the male visitors from the club host.

I continued watching local chat, other women arrived and received little in the way of a greeting or welcome yet male avis were bombarded with 'hello’s looking good welcome backs' etc.

This is not surprising I have experienced this before. But why does it happen? my theory is that 90% of clubs host are female.

A pretty female host shaking her pixels and flirting up a storm is more likely to be tipped by a man, possibly? So grabbing the attention of a male as soon as he arrives at a club makes good financial sense maybe.

I will tip a host if she is doing a great job or going the extra mile to make all people feel welcome, but in general if it’s just gesture overload and little else I don’t bother.

So Ms Host with the most, it's basic good manners to greet people as they enter a club and that surprisingly includes avis of the female persuasion too.

1 comment: